Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Lurking Too Long...Have Finally Arrived

I am 62 years old and have been drinking since I was 17. My last daily drinking ritual -- a bottle and a half of wine --- was November 26th, 8 days ago. I didn’t always drink like this… by god if I had no doubt I would have been dead some time ago. It started gradually from one or two beers a day (yes, daily drinking since age 20) and escalated over the years to where I sit now. That is a hell of a lot of booze! I have tried to quit many times over the years but have never been able to make it past 60 days other than throughout two pregnancies.

That 60 day stint occurred last year and it was then that I discovered the sober blogosphere. I was so serious about staying sober. I read every single blog I could find.  I found Belle and subscribed to her blog and daily messages. I read Mrs. D. is Going Without, Jason Vale’s Kick the Drink; Caroline Knapp’s Drinking A Love Story; Sarah Hepola’s Blackout; and many more I cannot recall at the moment.

But the one thing I did not do and should have done was create my own blog so I could join the conversation. I so very much need to connect with other people who can relate, share their own experiences and provide support.  Last time I tried to quit, I simply stayed in my own head mulling it all about which was a very bad idea as my head is no place anyone would want to loiter. Ah! Other than the Wine Witch, of course, and no doubt she was having so much fun she thought she was on holiday!


But I am here now and I fully intend to make this happen. And after 45 years of drinking, moderation is no longer in my vocabulary. I think I’ve tried that quite long enough and the results are in.



No comments:

Post a Comment